Tuesday, January 17, 2006

WPD Blue

a. I apologize for the huge lapse in coverage. I have been (sometimes literally) buried in statements: weekly, monthly, quarterly... You name it. I copy it, distribute, and file it.

b. Word on the street is that I have a new job. That street is covered in truth. I have gotten a promotion of sorts, I'll be moving into the back of the office (yessss) to assist a small group of planners. This means I can:

listen to whatever music/cd's I want
maybe take an hour lunch
be flexible with my work hours
leave at 3 or 4 on Fridays
maybe have an inappropriate wallpaper on my PC

c. Windsor 911 called me on Friday. They said that someone was calling repeatedly from our phone number and then just hanging up. I said that I would walk around to make sure no one was on the floor. The woman was not amused. I hung up with her and did walk around - I told other people what I was looking for. Everyone else laughed (take THAT, Mean Operator, I am funny even in inappropriate situations). Not long after my safety lap, a police officer stopped by. I told him that I had walked around made sure no phones were off the hook or dialing weird things. I told him that my hypothesis was that someone had dialed "9-1-1-then a number" instead of "9-1-number" on the fax machine, and because someone was picking up at their end, the fax kept restarting. He looked skeptical. Then I told him he could take a look around if he wanted. I guess I didn't look like I was hiding a body under my desk, because he left.

After the police stopped by, I took it upon myself to interrogate people in the office. I asked two of the planners with senses of humor -in a very serious tone- if they had been dialing 9-1-1 from their cubicles to get attention. Bob instantly confessed to dialing 9-1-1 by accident from his cell phone instead of 4-1-1 last week. "How did you know? I think I hung up before the call connected. Even if it did, they can't find me. I was driving." Eric on the other hand dismissed my accusation immediately. I was worried that he took offense until he said, while leaning in, "Who's the FREAK!?" We agreed it was probably Bob.

I heard nothing else from the authorities and/or local news media, so I guess everything turned out for the best after we left for the weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home