Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Are you new?

The check policy at our office goes like this. Any checks that come in are photocopied by me. Whoever the check was intended for gets a photocopy, I keep the original. I record the information from the check (date I got it, check #, amount, etc.) in a Check Log. When the planners want their checks, they come to me to sign the log and take them. This has a few exceptions, if a planner (or anyone) gets a check made out to them, then they just get it - no red tape. If you are Ms. Hyde, for some reason, you are excluded from most rules of the office because of your persistant whining, and I take a copy but give you the original, Bitch.

This has been the procedure since I started. More accurately, this has been the procedure since August 18th, a date I reference in the "Hey, you've got a copy of a check. Come get it" e-mail I send.

There is a woman in our office (the one who was "glad that I had a boyfriend") who seems to look down on most things that others do. All of the administrative staff are "the little people" and she speaks to us in a different tone of voice. Me, especially, probably because I look like I'm twelve. She is so out of touch with everything that is not her clients that today, when she signed for a check (something she has her assistant do) she said to me "Oh, well I guess we have a new policy!" I didn't know what to say, so I just looked at her for a minute. She looked at me, eager to learn about the new changes in her surroundings. So I said "Well, no.... um, not since I've been here..." and pretended to be busy with filing crap. To which she responded with a gasp-laugh-sh "W-e-l-l..."

Later in the day I overheard her talking to another one of the assistants about hiring someone. Her Royal Highness had just hired another assistant- for marketing. The woman she was talking to had been working with the woman who gave me (and my family) a horrible cough and then quit about a month ago after working here for about a year.

HRH: Oh, well why are you looking for someone new?
Assistant: T really needs more than one assistant, I have been struggling for the last month by myself, I'm at wit's end.
HRH: What about that other nice lady... what was her name? [keep in mind they had worked together for a YEAR]. She had a problem with her face, right?
Assistant: Um, Diana? [Who was neither overtly nice, nor ladylike] She had an allergic reaction to something she ate I guess. Oh, she went back to her previous job at the end of December.
HRH: Huh. I thought she was out sick.

Out sick? Since 2005? The fact that she doesn't know how to use the fax, copy, or postage machine has now been explained. Get your head out of the clouds!

1 Comments:

At 7:00 PM, Blogger josh said...

when this lady leaves her desk, you should lock her computer with a password. alternatively, you could pop out the "m" and "n" keys on her keyboard and switch them. this would cause much confusion (and hilarity!), cuz i doubt most people realize which one is where just by looking at the keyboard. just some thoughts.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home