Thursday, November 10, 2005

The Mug

There is a woman here who will remain nameless. I was warned by the family friend who got me this job that she has a Dr. Jekyl / Mr. Hyde persona that everyone loves OH so much. Said woman has been described as “difficult” and also “ridiculous.”

She is an assistant to a financial planner. She is not anyone’s boss, however Everyone must answer to Ms. Hyde. She lives above all of the rules, but makes up her own guidelines which everyone must follow. Also, she’s a complainer, which is where the Jekyl/Hyde comes in. She can be ok and almost nice sometimes, but all other times she’s Debbie Downer to a T. It’s incredible, really. And what I’ve heard from others is that she used to be worse

She has a mug. It is large – I’d say 16 oz. – it’s the same size as a narrow travel mug. It is ceramic; purple with flowers. I’ll admit it; it’s a nice mug.

One morning last week, we came into the office to hear her whining more than usual. She was mumbling (the LOUDEST mumble I’ve ever been in contact with) things like, “I can’t believe it happened again!” “Why would someone do that?” Now, at this point, I didn’t know what she was referring to, however I could pretty much answer the “why” question using a description of her character alone.

I felt bad (this was when I was still really new and trying to make friends.) And then, I saw this in the kitchen:



















(Oh CameraPhone, I love you.)

Stealing a mug, especially a purple one is right up my alley, no lie. But this time it was NOT me. And honestly, if people had known me at the time, it would have been harder to prove my innocence. Luckily I was the new girl and I got to sit back and watch. I can only hope that she reacts so phenomenally over small inconveniences in the future.

As far as I know, the mug was never recovered. I have a few hypotheses. I’ve seen a tall flower mug on her desk, perhaps a replacement, or she herself misplaced it, found it, and brought it back to work quietly. It will forever be a mystery...


… because Lord knows I won’t be making small talk to find out what happened to her anytime soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home